Friday, April 27, 2007

Parent Involvement

As a child, one of my favorite memories are when my mom came with my class on field trips. We did not have buses, so my mom would often drive and I would feel so special having other friends ride with me. Usually, my mom packed a special lunch with a whole can of soda.

My parents cared about my education and it was mostly my mother who cared about my over all being and my father who cared about the grades. Knowing that they would care whether or not I got good grades helped me to try harder.

I want parents to feel comfortable in my classroom. I think having a good working relationship with each parent takes some time, but is well worth the effort in the end. If this is one way to help my students achieve at higher levels, then I am willing to put forth the effort.

I want to provide many opportunities for parents to be involved. I know not all parents can, however parents are needed in the class room as well as out side of the classroom. At my children's school, some parents help grade papers, prepare Friday folders, organize special events, provide materials for special events, help in the classroom during centers and so many more. You don't have to be at a particular school in order for this to happen, but you have to be willing to deal with some of the "nosy" parents that just want to see how they can help you in the class room. (I have talked to some teachers about such parents and the biggest advice I got was to just be flexible and don't take things too personally, because you can't please every parent.)

As a parent, I volunteer in my kids classrooms when I can. I love being a chaperon on field trips, and I try to make it into the classroom once or twice a month as well. This allows me to see how the classroom runs and who my daughters seem to be friends with and who they have some tension with. It also allows me a chance to establish a better relationship with their teachers, so when I have to talk to them, I don't feel like a stranger.

Knowing how beneficial parents are in the classroom, I plan on making my classroom as parent friendly as possible and provide many different ways to involve the parents of my students.

2 comments:

Debra Dirksen said...

Your own experience as a parent in the classroom will help you make your parents feel comfortable spending time in your classroom. As you already know parents can be your best ally. Take advantage of the opportunities they can help you create for their children.

Unknown said...

Dear Lisa
my mother is exeptional children's teacher too.
she wants to know about such schools in other countries.
could you plz help her if you have time?
my email is:
has5218@yahoo.com
thanks for your attention
hope to receive your email soon
with best regards
Hedy