Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Reaching Out

I was born into poverty. I don't remember it very well, because my dad managed to secure a good job and climb the cooperate ladder a few rungs. I do remember thinking that Kmart was about the best store around and it was very special to get new clothes. Most of our clothes were hand-me-downs and used clothing from Goodwill. I didn't realize we were poor. I thought we were very wealthy, because we didn't live in a trailer like most of my neighbors.

The first time I saw a teacher reach out to a child from a terribly sad situation, I was in awe. I used to ride horses, and as payment for a lesson, my mom would pick up my instructor's son at his school and bring him to the stables with us. They lived in a very run down house with twenty or more cats. He always stunk and I felt very sad for him. After Christmas one year he had a new coat and backpack. He told me that his teacher bought it for him and he was so proud of it. It was his best Christmas present ever. I was so amazed of what the teacher did. It was so simple, yet it made a profound impact on the little boy. His teacher didn't have to get him anything. I'm sure he wasn't the only student in his class with needs and she probably did buy more coats and things for the other children. She spent her own money, and I knew even then that teachers didn't make very much, to make a difference in this boy's life.

I think about that incident and I say to myself, "That is the kind of teacher I want to be." I am sure I will have children of poverty or ESL students in my class. I have a desire to teach ESL. One thing I want to express to my students is that they matter individually to me. I don't ever want my students to feel like a number or that they are only students to me. One way to show this to praise them for their individual talents or personal achievements or give them individual awards at the end of the year, that are completely unique to their individual abilities and personality.

Having a good relationship with their parents is probably just as important. I don't ever want my students or parents to feel uncomfortable around me or feel like that I think I am better than them in any way. I think it will be crucial for me to understand their lifestyle at home and their way of thinking. I found the "hidden rules" fascinating. Understanding these "rules" will be very beneficial in communicating and understand where these children are coming from and what will they respond to in a learning environment.

Also, having after school clubs or special events to further establish learning and relationship would be important with any student, but especially those in poverty. They may need extra help with technology or other skills that they may not have available for them to use at home. I may even have to be willing to give up a Saturday or two a month.

Being a teacher of children of poverty will be a bigger challenge than teaching children who come from middle class families. It is my hope that I can bring stability, comfort, and acceptance into the classroom environment, to enhance their learning and sense of citizenship. I will do whatever it takes to intrigue, wow, and awe them into learning and becoming young, successful adults in our society.

1 comment:

Debra Dirksen said...

You're right, teaching children from poverty will be a challenge, but I found it to be one of the most rewarding experiences of my career. You have a unique understanding of the situation, and I think it will be a benefit to you in the classroom. Be a role model and love your students, and they will love you. Take the time to teach them the hidden rules that society puts in their way, and they will have the tools they need to go wherever they want to go.